Welcome to my blog about things I love to collect, refinishing furniture and decorating using flea market finds (with a few crochet projects now and then).Thanks so much for visiting!




Friday, March 28, 2014

Playing with vignettes & a few finds all on a flea market budget

Enough painting and working!
I'm puttering around with small areas here and there in the house.
The rest of my time here will be doing fun things like this...


I removed the desk that was on the left and replaced it with this old chippy aqua green wicker table. The white table to the right was found last winter at the flea market.  I'm not showing what's on the wicker table because it's an old heavy TV that I use only for the DVD player.
The white table is still cluttered with stuff.
I thought it would look so good! But there was this big space between the 2 tables with an outlet and ugly cords visible.

I picked up the cheese box at the same flea market for a few bucks. It was painted John Deere green. I thought it might work in the living room but the color was awful. I painted it white and took the electric sander to it. Still didn't like it in the living room.
Ah ha!
Works perfect here! Fills the space like it was just meant to be!


The unsightly cords!


The green cheese box before!
What was I thinking!!!


So much better!

I found a good spot for the little shelf but it sat empty for weeks until I spotted the little yellow bird at 22nd St. Antiques when I bought the wicker table. He's perfect perched here and directly below this is the tall skinny plant stand.

This was found at the flea market last year too. It's terribly wobbly and in need of some TLC. It fits in this little corner just right!


And my flea market cast iron urn that I thought I would never find...along with some old softballs found at Goodwill.


A collection of treasures on top of a table that was my mom's. All last years flea market finds.

Some 'good junk' found at the antiques store, everything you see here has a place, it just hasn't been put there yet!!!


I almost couldn't believe my eyes when I pulled up to Goodwill and spotted this bolt of fabric in the window. I expected muslin but it's a full bolt of canvas duck or Turkish greige!
I counted the folds (2 folds equals 1 yard) there are 20 yards and it was marked $20!
I can find a ton of uses for this!
Thinking window treatments, pillows, seat covers, stenciling!
A buck a yard and it's 48" wide.


And last but not least a little spring!

My goal of decorating this home on a flea market budget is working so far, the things I buy at the antiques store have to be almost flea market prices and it sure has been a fun way to decorate!
(Even the flowers were on sale in the grocery store at .99 cents!!!)

Thanks for stopping!

Linking to;




11 comments:

  1. You sure had some great finds! That fabric will go a long ways!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely finds. I like the little corner you created to cover the cords.That fabric looks like what we call calico,and would be so good for so many things. Super cheap too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never knew the counting the fold trick. That will come in handy at the estate sales! And I love those wicker tables. Especially the aqua one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything looks great! I love it when I buy a piece not quite knowing what I am going to do with it and then I find the perfect use for it...like your cheese box. It works great there! Have fun decorating...:)

    Blessings, Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  5. What great vignettes, Faye. You have some great finds there. That cheesebox looks so much better painted a light color and it covers the cords perfectly. That counting the fold trick comes in handy, doesn't it? xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay....first off: your bedroom wall is beeeautiful!! and I'm the clutter queen, so I know what I'm talking about! You have arranged everything to perfection! LOVE the birdcage BTW. I think Miss Desert Rose, and Mannie would make great friends...kind of like us. Rose was wearing the same old outfit that Mannie had on when I got her. I bet they are both so happy to be rid of those old duds.
    Your table and chairs are so cool, Faye!!! Just perfect for your little bunk house!!! You are like a genius when it comes to thinking up ideas for that place of yours!
    You did a super job of refinishing the table top, and the chair seats. Loving it!
    I am also impressed with your vignette using the green box....turned white. The colors all blend together so well. The pieces you found, with the pieces you already had look wonderful together.
    You should have your own show...called "Decorating a Home With Flea Market Finds, and Nothing BUT Flea Market Finds".
    You would definitely win an award!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a steal on the fabric. Love all the fleas - so very stylish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking good! That cheesebox is a perfect way to hide the cords. I love it in white and those boxes on top are so pretty. Thank you for sharing at What We Accomplished Wednesdays. Have a lovely week! ~Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome finds and make overs! Love all the photos. That fabric was a steal! Great eye catching that one. I didn't know that about the folds. Thanks- it might come in handy later! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really great finds and transformations! The cheese box turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great finds. Love that teacup.
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog! I love hearing from you!